Besides Chocolate, These Are Foods You Should Never Feed Your Dog

January 28, 2016 | Joanne Kennell

dog eating out of owner's hand
Photo credit: PourquoiPas/Pixabay

This list really applies to all pets.

This may or may not surprise you, but a lot of the foods we can eat, our pets can’t!  In fact, many common, everyday foods can lead to dangerous symptoms and disorders in your pet.  Here is a list of the top toxic foods to avoid feeding your pet.

Onions and Garlic

Species of plants in the Allium genus such as garlics, onions, leeks, shallots, chives, and scallions are toxic.  Consuming any of these plants can lead to red blood cell damage, resulting in the cells being unable to carry oxygen.  They can also lead to a life-threatening disorder called Heinz body anemia (low red blood cell count) which can lead to internal organ damage, organ failure and even death.  

Although cats are more susceptible than dogs, sign of this toxicity include lethargy, weakness, lack of muscle coordination, pale gums, red or brown urine, hyper-salivation, and vomiting and diarrhea.

Grapes and Raisins

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, they have been linked to urinary dysfunction and even kidney failure.  It is best to avoid feeding these to your pets in any form, including grape juice.


Nuts, including almonds, pecans, and walnuts, contain high amounts of oil and fats that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and possibly pancreatitis.

Macadamia nuts are especially dangerous because they can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hypothermia in dogs.  Signs of macadamia nut toxicity usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and can last from 12 to 48 hours.  Unfortunately, the substance in macadamia nuts that causes these symptoms is unknown.

SEE ALSO: Why Is Chocolate so Bad for Dogs?


Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including gum, candy, baked goods, toothpaste and even some brands of peanut butter — a dog favorite.  It can cause insulin release in most pets, leading to liver failure.  This increase in insulin can also lead to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels).

Symptoms of this toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.  However, symptoms have progressed to seizures, elevated enzymes, and liver failure within a few days.

Yeast Dough

Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system, which can be extremely painful and cause the stomach to bloat and potentially twist — a life-threatening emergency.

Yeast also produces ethanol as a by-product, and a dog ingesting raw bread can become drunk.


Although this seems obvious, alcohol is not good for pets.  It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma, seizures and even death.  Never give your pet alcohol!

Did any of these surprise you?  Remember, a healthy pet is a happy pet!

You might also like: Why Do Dogs Make a Mess When They Drink?

Hot Topics

Facebook comments