Why Is Chocolate so Bad for Dogs?

January 22, 2016 | Johannes Van Zijl

Dog and chocolate
Photo credit: Screen capture from video by Reactions

For most of us it is common knowledge that dogs should not be eating chocolate, but have you ever wondered why that is?

It all comes down to one molecule called theobromine, which is chemically very similar to caffeine. Theobromine is both toxic to humans and animals, but dogs are particularly susceptible to the toxic effects of theobromine because their bodies struggle to metabolize the molecule effectively. Humans metabolize theobromine nine times more effectively than canines, therefore the toxic effects are minimal for us, but life-threatening for dogs.

In the video by Reactions they take a closer look at chocolate and the toxic effects of theobromine when consumed by dogs. They also provide some useful advice of what to do in a scenario where a dog has consumed some chocolate.




Read next: The Deadly Daddy Longlegs...?

Hot Topics

Facebook comments